You don't!! if there is a vinegar taste in your wine this means that you kept it to long and probably standing up to hot or something it is ruined don't rink it it will give you the runs
It depends on what the taste really is. If it's new wine IE just finished or is only in the bottle for a month it may taste like vinegar. My GF was always telling me that mine did, never did get her to try to see what it was going to taste like. I finally gave up and tried it on her after 6-9 months in the bottle, probably a year or more after fermentation. Is it new?
I made quite a few batches of wine with good success but the last two came out vinegar tasting. I am very clean in my brewing process but my six gallon batches are made in nine gallon tanks. I have been told that oxygen got to the wine causing that vinegar taste.
I also have been told there is no remedy for the wine I made. That's bad because I made almost sixty bottles. I decided to drink them anyway.
Somewhere along the way I got a crazy idea and put a couple dozen red grapes in the bottle and vacuum sealed it until the next day. I'm sure you won't believe me but the vinegar taste is gone.
The wine doesn't taste like it is supposed to, there is a slight taste of raisin but I like it much more than vinegar. I am experimenting the number of grapes to see if I can tone down the grape taste.
I have done this to my Cab and Pinot Noir with success. I don't know if it would work on white wines. Perhaps you would have to use white grapes.
A warning to those who try this; don't eat the grapes. They're horrible.
A vinegar taste can often be confused with an acid taste. If the wine has been exposed to air, the wine will darken in colour and start to taste very acidic. After a while, it will start to turn into vinegar. At this point there is nothing you can do.
If this is a new wine and is still in bulk, then you could try using skimmed-dried milk (or buy a bottle of Cassein from the winemaking shop). This will help to remove the oxidisation (but takes ages to filter out).
If you have already bottled it ... stick to your great idea of hiding the taste with grapes
Say, denoftn,I have encountered a similar problem with some recent red wine left to age too long without sulfiting. You mention putting a couple of dozen red grapes in a bottle to cure the vinegar aromas. How did you put a couple dozen grapes in a bottle?. Or do you mean in a bucket? Many thanks. This seems to be the first recommendation I've seen for dealing with a vinegar smell AFTER it has occurred. ( many suggestions exist for how to avoid the problem in the first place - but that is small consolation when you've got 20 gallons of almost-vinegar on your hands!). Thanks.
u can cook with it...
I think that there is the best reply.
I am trying it with my Pinot Grigio with the white grapes. This is my first attempt with homemade wine and I followed the instructions to the tee, so it is very disappointing that it didn't turn out right. It has been in the bottles for 8 weeks, so maybe it will mellow with another month, but I am I trying the grape trick on one bottle now. I hope it works because I have 28 bottles of it, and like you, I am going to drink it, regardless!
I tried using the white grapes in a bottle of a batch of Pinot Grigio...left the grapes in the wine for a day and tasted it...doesn't taste any different. And it has an acidic aftertaste as well, so I am not really sure how much of the flavor is acid and how much of it is vinegar. Regardless, it doesn't taste like a Pinot Grigio should taste. I plan on taking a bottle (sans grapses) to the guy who owns the wine store that sold me the wine kit and see what he thinks. It has been bottled for eight weeks. Could it just need additional time to mellow? It was a Grand Cru RJ Spagnols kit. Has anyone else had any experiences with this brand? This is my first attempt at winemaking, and so far, I am not having much luck. But I don't plan on giving up and any help is appreciated.
I have been making wine at home using kits for 30 years. I find that due to the fact I have4 to make it in my kitchen, the ones I make in summer sometimes are not as nice tasting as those I make in winter due to the heat. If my white wine tastes odd just before bottling, I rack it and let it sit in the carboy a while longer. I test it every day. after a week, if there is no improvement, I get a few bottles of concentrated grape juice or currant juice and toss it in (adding another sorbate for the sugar. I Keep testing and adding till I am pleased ant only then to the bottle it goes.
if it has started to turn you can let it continue to turn to vinegar cook with it or save it and have a goodd vinager
Remove the air inside the bottle with a gadget like that. Easy and simple. http://www.amazon.com/Wine-Saver-Vacuum-Pump-Stoppers/dp/B00KOWDTBQ
I have the same problem. Please let me know how your solution works i have 30 bottles. I bottled yesterday. Tom
I had a similar idea with my first batch of wine but just put about a teaspoon of sugar in the bottle. Worked a treat.
Yeah, I had a 1 gallon of merlot, and it smelled like vinegar, but it tasted good when I bottled it. Go figure.
I made a 2 liter bottle of homemade Brew wine. It tasted like a sparkling wine and very strong! got me drunk but did not treat the stomach too well...lol
did this wor for the entire 6 gallons?? or.just one bottle
I think some folks confuse the tartness of young wine with vinegar. However sugar is the cure for it. Tartness not vinegar.
Well said Bob, vinegar as in acetic acid should not be present. Very dry wine say white wine can taste thin and give the impression that it has a vinegary flavour when just made. It improves with age in a few months. Add grape juice to create a medium sweet wine. The sugar in the grape juice will disguise any acidity that may be a little on the high side.
Has anyone ever tried freezing wine / vinegar and strained out the ice crystals?
Freezing your wine will not remove acetic acid if you get crystals you they are tartaric crystals and will have no affect on any vinegar present. It will clear your wine though, it's called cold stabilizing!
maybe a spoonful of andrews antacid?